Hey Everyone! Hope you're all well and enjoying the lovely weather (except for today XD). Recently I've made some strawberry themed recipes due to having soooo many strawberries at the allotment so I thought what better to make than a classic Victoria sponge! I also thought it fitted in well with Wimbledon at the moment :) (Woo Djokovic haha!) So I thought I would make use of some of our homemade strawberry jams, however this recipe is different as it only has a jam filling but we still really liked it :)
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self Raising Flour, sifted
2 tbsp Milk
4 tbsp Jam
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5. Line and grease two 18cm round tins.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually add in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour, add the milk and 'mix to a soft drooping consistency, when the mixture is just thick enough to reluctantly fall off a spoon. :')
- Split between the two tins and bake for 20 minutes until golden and well risen.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and remove from tins. Remove all baking paper and leave to cool completely the right way up.
- Sandwich the two layers together with strawberry jam, dust with icing sugar and enjoy!
|Whisk the butter and sugar until light and fluffy|
|Gradually whisk in the eggs|
|Sift and fold in the flour|
|Add milk and mix it all together|
|Halve the cake mixture into two tins, or one if you're not a pro and make do :)|
|Bake it for 20 minutes at Gas Mark 5 (or ~30 and doing it all as one)|
|Dust with sugar and keep away from your brothers so they don't eat it before you finish it and take photos :')|
It was really easy and simple to make! We didn't have two similar tins that were the right size so I just put it all in one and then mum cut it in half, so it was a bit messier but we made do with what we had haha! Also! I couldn't be bothered to fully line the dish (laaazy) so I only put paper at the bottom and then surprise surprise, some of the cake stuck at the sides haha! We just cut it out with a knife.
As it was really late I went to bed and mum said she'd sandwich it with jam then I could do the sugar and take photos the next day. And then my lovely brothers decided to have a 1am feast of my unfinished and unphotographed cake -.- They also managed to pierce a few holes in the top :') I was so angry when I went down the next morning grrr, hence why there is a massive chunk missing :') But nevermind haha! Brothers eh! Nothing a bit of icing sugar can't fix :')