Sunday, 10 August 2014

Fit is the New Thin

Since the beginning of the year my view on gym and exercise had changed. I had always thought yeaah I want to be really skinny, thigh gap, hip bones and all that rubbish, but like most people 'I love food too much' and doing cardio is sooo so boring!

SINS

I came across Ellens Instagram (Fitspooration) and straightaway I was hooked. I was so impressed at how heavy she was able to lift and she looked reaaally good! I've followed other accounts but hers is my favourite by far! So I soon began to think, well, I could be a twig and be really weak and blow over in the wind, do boring cardio and live off celery, orr I could go to the gym, lift heavy, get a squat bum and eat loads. I think it was more the food side that sold it, but I thought right lets try this. Let's forget the myth that everyone says ohh if girls lift weights they will look manly.. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it! I decided that I wanted a toned strong physique and I really liked the idea of the personal satisfaction of yeah, I deadlift or yeah, I benchpress! haha :')

It's no longer about skinny, now it's about heathy
strong-is-the-new-skinny

Luckily for me my housemate Hannah began to share the same views as I did so we became gym buddies. We started using the machines, and slowly started venturing into the men's sections. Ohh my was it scary. We were just surrounded by guys who were lifting loads and we were two little girls who didn't have a clue. We were both really impressed with how heavy we were going and one of our favourite machines was the leg press which we both kept improving. However we both really wanted to try the squat racks and use the benches in the guys area, I felt like, I needed a friend I knew who was a guy to just stand there next to me so I didn't feel like a complete idiot. Luckily for us some of the weights got moved upstairs so we started using them.


So that's how my exercise routine and view on what I wanted to achieve changed. Recently I've been working out with Pardis and he's been training me so my strength has pretty much doubled! Now I just need to keep it up! :)

What are your views on this topic? Have you started lifting weights or are you more of a cardio bunny? Let me know :)



*The photos are not mine, I found them on Google :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I have nominated you for a Liebster award :) For more info and the questions the post is on my blog...
    http://sarahs--style.blogspot.co.uk/
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination! I'm a bit behind but I'm writing it now! :) x

      Delete